Our lives are busy. We move from place to place throughout the day. We take our phone, net book, and laptop with us. We read our mail wherever we sit. Sometimes we mean to write, but we get caught up in email, friends, and Facebook.
I've decided I need a log-in sheet. It might be interesting to track the minutes and hours I actually spend sitting and writing.
Mary Heaton Vorse said, "The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair.
Not anymore.
The art of writing is the art of staying on the page and not flipping to some other social networking website.
I've got my notebook--I'm ready to log in. Have you got yours?
Oh, man, this is a constant struggle. I'm using Dr. Wicked's Write or Die tool more and more lately. You hardly have any time to pause, let alone click away.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. I'm going to start a log book right away and hope that my word count will increase. Thanks for the idea.
ReplyDeleteTHat is so true! I've had to really cut back on how much time I spend on writing sites like Goodreads and such because I wasn't getting anything done! Now I am, but I do miss the social interaction. I've started logging my hours on my phone app to make myself accountable.
ReplyDeleteI just took your little quiz on the right BTW. It says I'm Marianne Dashwood. *sigh* I like Elinor better, but I like Marianne in the end of the book too.
ReplyDeleteWendy, I love Marianne, and you are sooo Marianne!!
ReplyDeleteI'm logging and it's working! Hope it is for you, too, Stephanie.
Jordan, I'm checking out Dr. Wicked!!! Thanks, all!
What a great idea! I have major issues with this too. I'll have to give it a try.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the follow! :)
LOL! Bum glue ~ don't write without it!
ReplyDeleteGreat reminder! I've tried scheduling out some of these other social networking activities during the week, so when it's writing time I will actually write. So far it seems to be helping.
ReplyDeleteSocial media and e-mail check-ins and more can all be such a drain. It detracts from the actual process of writing. That’s why I do not allow phones or the internet in my office. My laptop does not have access to the internet, not a single button to click on that would take me to any access to that crazy world wide web! My office is for writing and writing only. It’s the only way to get things done.
ReplyDeleteNew to your blog, I added myself as a follower! *hi!*
~Lindsey Edwards
www.thewritewords-lindsey.blogspot.com
Hi. Great challenge and so true. :) By the way I was looking back at a couple of blogs and I saw on one of mine that you asked me to read a copy of my Dad's eulogy. I would be happy to send it to you if you still want to read it. It was fun to do. Can I say that? LOL let me know your e-nmail address.
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas, everyone! Welcome, Lindsey! Jane, I'm going to email you!!!
ReplyDeleteI get caught doing this so often. I have to make my networking and writing times completely seperate...well, I should...or else my the day gets away from me and all I have done is check emails, blogs, facebook and twitter. What's networking without really writing?
ReplyDelete